Thursday 5 February 2015

Appreciating the Small Things in Life




Well Folks,

February has begun. Just a few quick notes from month two, day four.

I'm learning to appreciate the small things. You don't realize how much we take for granted, especially where I am from. 
I forgot how much it means to be able to turn on your tap to wash your hands and running water actually comes out. Here...it comes and goes. Yesterday we had no water for about 5 hours. It's out again today. Being able to wash dishes when I want to, doesn't really happen. Being able to do laundry when I would like to, doesn't happen. It's really something I took for granted in the past. I knew coming here would change me, I just didn't think it would happen this fast. 
So now that I have a pile of dirty clothes and dishes stewing, I thought I may as well write for a bit.
I haven't been sleeping much lately, to the point where I am up recording Kyle snoring because he often doesn't believe me that it is pretty loud. So on top of the irritating Mr. Birdie, Kyle's snores, loud trucks it makes for a great night sleep :D
Maybe some of you think, "well it doesn't matter you don't sleep, you aren't doing anything there." True, however I don't want to fall into a routine of sleeping until 1 or 2 in the afternoon, and getting really lazy. I have been doing my best to get up at a decent hour, still work out and get homework done. Sometimes my days go by fast, sometimes they go by slow. I just wish I could sleep...

This week for school has actually been busy for me. I have a pretty big assignment due on Sunday and I am super confused on what to do. I kinda wish I was at home so I could chat to some of my work friends about it. I have tried emailing my group leader, but she seems a little useless, so I'm on my own I think. I did have to do an online video chat with other group members and Kyle thought it would be funny to show you what I looked like while doing that.


My group is interesting, one girl is from Alaska! The other one lives in Utah. So we are trying to coordinate times from all over the place, and with internet dropping a lot it isn't that easy.

Kyle had another set of exams this week...I feel like he just had that!! Anyway, he did very well again! Yay Kyle! However they did get in trouble from their class adminstration, apparently a class average of 81% is not good enough...hmmm

I also appreciate when I am able to use the internet. It has been acting a little funny lately. Again it's something you don't realize how much you take for granted until it's gone. I am trying my hardest to stay positive, I mean we do still have a bunch of time left here, and if I am already feeling like this and it's only February...Yikes, I'm in trouble. 

Now one thing I need to point out is that Kyle has been having some trouble getting his clothes to dry. I'm not complaining about the weather because I still love that, however Kyle is finding it hard to handle. Mostly the humidity. A lot of his clothes can't be dried in the dryer, so he has to hang them to dry. Since we don't have a clothes line, they hang in the closet. We obviously keep the doors open, but his stuff takes up to 2-3 days to fully dry, and by that point it smells bad, like mold. Gross! Any suggestions on what to do?? I suggested putting a dryer sheet in the closet, but Kyle said no. We don't have a big enough fan to put it directly on the clothes. So we are still trying to figure that part out.

It's Madison's birthday today!! I know she was really missing home, and she kept mentioning how weird it feels to be celebrating in the sun! We went out for lunch to the Yachtsman Grill to celebrate! The food was okay, kinda pricey. 15 bucks for fish 'n chips. US! However, the resort this restaurant was at was awesome looking! They had a beautiful entrance, and the beach was nice and private. So we just hung out, relaxed for a bit. Later on, Kyle and I went over to her house and I brought her some cupcakes to finish off the celebration! It was awesome.
This was the view during lunch time. Not to shabby!






Madison's Birthday lunch. The drinks were great, food was...meh. 





This is the resort. It was a very private beach. 

Birthday Girl!




#beachselfie




This resort is gorgeous! I wonder how much it costs to stay here?





Birthday Cupcakes!



Besides the cupcakes, this week I attempted to make lemon squares and homemade pizza. Both were a complete fail! :/ Haha, my pan for the lemon squares was not the right size because they are so friggen expensive here, so I was using a foil pan. I tried to put aluminum foil down to block the excess, but it really didn't work. I'm embarrassed to post the photo, but it's all part of the experience. So no judging!!

So the one half of the lemon squares, looks okay but it tasted like rubber because all the good stuff ran off into the other side. Boo...I guess I need to invest in a proper pan for about 40 bucks US. -_-
I also attempted to make pizza on the night of the super bowl for Kyle, to make it feel like home. Extra fail!! My pan I had, again was to large, and the sauce I had was also crappy that it all ran off the sides and the dough was soaking it all up so it took forever to cook. So the top of it pretty much got burnt, and the crust was all sticky and gross.. everything was cooked and we were both so hungry so we still ate it. Kyle said he liked it, but I know he was just being nice. Haha.

When I went on my run today, I ran by a school, and the kids were just being let out. As I was on my way back, a few them started running beside me. About 5 or 6 of them, and I asked if they wanted to run with me, they were like "Yeah!" So we started to go faster, it was so cute to see them all running with me! Most of them fell behind, but one little guy kept up with me, we were close to his house so we sprinted the rest of the way. He was fast! It was so fun though, and then the other kids waved goodbye as I continued my journey. I wish I had been quick enough to try and grab a picture with them, maybe I'll see them again. 

Anyway so I am sitting here trying to type this and it's not saving properly. So even though it's Wednesday, you may be reading this on Thursday. 

Kyle really wants to go see a movie this weekend on St.Kitts. We might try and take on that challenge. We survived one month without going to the movies. Something else I took advantage of back home. I guess the "Honeymoon Phase" of this move is over now...

Take care everyone! 








No comments:

Post a Comment